Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The person directing a circus performance.
impresario, stage manager, publicistView synonyms
- ‘Lyons is the ringmaster controlling the hype on and off the field.’
- ‘The ringmaster thanks people for coming and ‘helping to support the world's endangered species.’’
- ‘The ringmaster escorts the high-wire and animal acts into the rings.’
- ‘Both men were considered only ‘foot soldiers’ in the affair and the ringmasters of the factory remain at large.’
- ‘Every carnival has a ringmaster and plenty of barkers, bearded ladies, strong men, wild animals and sad clowns.’
- ‘Watching from many rows behind the center ring Marvin sits surrounded by eager children all of whom gaze at the ringmaster in awe.’
- ‘If the Oscars are a circus, he's the ringmaster.’
- ‘They are part of a circular series of trades populated by sellers, buyers, buffers and ringmasters.’
- ‘He was also, in his time, a superb ringmaster of French culture and the avant-garde.’
- ‘There, standing on top of a rather large, dusty old theatrical trunk, projecting all the enthusiasm of a ringmaster on the opening night of the circus, was the magician.’
- ‘We can't go on tonight without a ringmaster, and your highwire magic show is the highlight of the Circus!’
- ‘It was also in the 1970's that Mic joined the legendary Pram Factory Theatre in Melbourne, creating Soapbox Circus, where he was ringmaster, musician, juggler and acrobat.’
- ‘Cromwell's role at Putney was first and foremost as chair and ringmaster.’
- ‘But for the past few weeks, due to her sickness, Chad, the ringmaster and manager of the circus refused to let her on the tightrope.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.