Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1Having or emitting a clear resonant sound.‘a ringing voice’
deep, low, sonorous, full, full-bodied, vibrant, rich, clear, ringing, orotundreverberating, ringing, resounding, echoing, filledView synonyms
- ‘Girl has apparently run into a pole, and the sound of ringing metal sounds throughout the parking lot.’
- ‘She pushed the door open, a bell hooked to the door made a ringing sound.’
- ‘A loud crash and the sound of ringing alarms filled the electrical store.’
- ‘In the center of the room, shifting around upon a shining pink bed amongst a mess of hair and sheet, a girl clawed at the ringing sound of her alarm.’
- ‘A loud ringing sound erupted out of a speaker in the far corner of the barracks and as it sounded the men filed out of the room towards some unknown destination.’
- ‘Frail and small-framed, she could speak in a ringing voice and inspire many.’
- ‘A loud ringing sound came over the classroom speaker.’
- ‘What's that strange ringing sound coming from her bag?’
- ‘The ringing noise interrupts his pleasant memories, and Ross turns down the flame on his stove.’
- ‘A high-pitched ringing sounded in his ears, blanking out nearly everything else, he noticed.’
- ‘As he lay down on the mat, with a bewildered expression on his face, he heard a clear and ringing laugh from the girl, a genuine happy laugh.’
- ‘We slipped through the metal detectors when a loud ringing sound went off.’
- ‘Her ringing voice was loud amongst the murmurs of the moving crowd.’
- ‘She kept her eyes closed, content to listen to the ringing sounds of her friend's voice.’
- ‘The door bell rang again and both girls were startled by the sudden ringing sound that seemed a hundred times louder then usual.’
- ‘There is a ringing sound in her ears and she feels as though she is drifting out of consciousness.’
- ‘Cola opened his mouth, about to respond, but he was interrupted by a ringing sound.’
- ‘Suddenly a loud ringing sound scared me… what was that?’
- ‘A ringing sound was all she could hear and she began to breathe very quickly.’
- ‘I also realize that the ringing sound wasn't the alarm clock, it was the phone.’
- 1.1(of a statement) forceful and unequivocal.‘the Russian leader received a ringing declaration of support’
noisy, blaring, booming, deafening, roaring, thunderous, thundering, tumultuous, clamorous, blasting, head-splitting, ear-splitting, ear-piercing, piercingView synonyms
- ‘At his trial he read a ringing statement, to the effect that he and his generation had given their best in various hell-holes, and there was no more to say.’
- ‘A few cheers answered his ringing declaration.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.