Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1Having or emitting a clear resonant sound.‘a ringing voice’
deep, low, sonorous, full, full-bodied, vibrant, rich, clear, orotundreverberating, resounding, echoing, filledView synonyms
- ‘Suddenly a loud ringing sound scared me… what was that?’
- ‘I also realize that the ringing sound wasn't the alarm clock, it was the phone.’
- ‘A high-pitched ringing sounded in his ears, blanking out nearly everything else, he noticed.’
- ‘She kept her eyes closed, content to listen to the ringing sounds of her friend's voice.’
- ‘The door bell rang again and both girls were startled by the sudden ringing sound that seemed a hundred times louder then usual.’
- ‘In the center of the room, shifting around upon a shining pink bed amongst a mess of hair and sheet, a girl clawed at the ringing sound of her alarm.’
- ‘A loud ringing sound came over the classroom speaker.’
- ‘A loud crash and the sound of ringing alarms filled the electrical store.’
- ‘She pushed the door open, a bell hooked to the door made a ringing sound.’
- ‘The ringing noise interrupts his pleasant memories, and Ross turns down the flame on his stove.’
- ‘Her ringing voice was loud amongst the murmurs of the moving crowd.’
- ‘As he lay down on the mat, with a bewildered expression on his face, he heard a clear and ringing laugh from the girl, a genuine happy laugh.’
- ‘Cola opened his mouth, about to respond, but he was interrupted by a ringing sound.’
- ‘There is a ringing sound in her ears and she feels as though she is drifting out of consciousness.’
- ‘We slipped through the metal detectors when a loud ringing sound went off.’
- ‘Frail and small-framed, she could speak in a ringing voice and inspire many.’
- ‘What's that strange ringing sound coming from her bag?’
- ‘Girl has apparently run into a pole, and the sound of ringing metal sounds throughout the parking lot.’
- ‘A ringing sound was all she could hear and she began to breathe very quickly.’
- ‘A loud ringing sound erupted out of a speaker in the far corner of the barracks and as it sounded the men filed out of the room towards some unknown destination.’
- 1.1 (of a statement) forceful and unequivocal.‘the Russian leader received a ringing declaration of support’
noisy, blaring, booming, deafening, roaring, thunderous, thundering, tumultuous, clamorous, blasting, head-splitting, ear-splitting, ear-piercing, piercingView synonyms
- ‘A few cheers answered his ringing declaration.’
- ‘At his trial he read a ringing statement, to the effect that he and his generation had given their best in various hell-holes, and there was no more to say.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.