One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A seal of arctic and subarctic waters, which has pale ring-shaped markings on the back and sides and a short muzzle.
- ‘Their diet consists mostly of marine mammals such as the ringed seals, bearded seals and occasionally a walrus pup.’
- ‘You can go almost anywhere in the North and locate ringed seals to study.’
- ‘Relatively low densities of ringed seals have been reported for the Arctic Archipelago, particularly in areas largely covered by thick multiyear ice.’
- ‘For example, years of very heavy ice in the 1970s and 1980s in the eastern Beaufort Sea resulted in markedly lower productivity of ringed seals and resulted in reduced polar bear productivity.’
- ‘Furthermore, during winter and spring, ringed seals are associated with their breeding holes in the fast ice and subnivean lairs, which in itself may reduce their horizontal mobility.’
- ‘But polar bears spend much of their time roaming the miles and miles of ice that cover the Arctic seas most of the year hunting for prey such as the ringed seal.’
- ‘They hunt their primary prey, the ringed seal, from the ice.’
- ‘While there is some geographic variation in their diet, their main prey are ringed seals and bearded seals.’
- ‘Despite the variability in these success rates, it is clear that the presence of the snow around and over birth and haul-out lairs provides significant protection from predation for ringed seals, especially young pups.’
- ‘No seals were seen in the area on that day, although on an earlier date, one of us sighted a ringed seal in the water adjacent to the Yamal upon reaching the Pole.’
- ‘At this spot, marine and ice conditions favour the year-round presence of ringed seals.’
- ‘Polar bears feed primarily on ringed seals and to a lesser degree on bearded seals and spotted seals.’
- ‘Aars said he and fellow researchers also hope to learn how polar bears and their main prey, ringed seals, are affected by changes in the global climate.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.