One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The finger next to the little finger, especially of the left hand, on which the wedding band is worn.
- ‘Judith held out her hand to reveal a small band on her left ring finger.’
- ‘She held out her left hand and he could see engagement and wedding rings on her ring finger.’
- ‘She smiled and held out her hand where a huge diamond ring glittered on her ring finger.’
- ‘Then, I picked up the gold ring and placed it on my ring finger.’
- ‘She wore a piece of black lace around her throat and an expensive looking ring on her right ring finger.’
- ‘I held up three fingers: my index finger, my middle finger, and my ring finger.’
- ‘I can feel their eyes looking at my left ring finger in a search for a diamond or gold wedding band.’
- ‘He placed a diamond engagement ring on her ring finger on her left hand.’
- ‘Colin smiled and slid the engagement ring on her left ring finger.’
- ‘As I hold his hand I look down and see a ring on his right ring finger.’
- ‘His left hand had a gold ring on it, on his ring finger, and both hands had fingerless black gloves.’
- ‘He held up his left hand, palm towards him, and wiggled his ring finger.’
- ‘Sparkling on the ring finger of her left hand was the beautiful diamond solitaire Arthur had presented her with earlier that day.’
- ‘Manda also noticed a large diamond ring on her ring finger.’
- ‘Before he could reply, he noticed the wedding ring on her ring finger.’
- ‘He took the ring out of its box and slipped it onto her left hand ring finger, never taking his eyes away from hers.’
- ‘When he puts the ring on my ring finger I find myself crying harder because the emotion I am feeling is too strong to control.’
- ‘He wore rings on every finger, most of them silver bands, but one on his left ring finger was a large and expensive-looking blue topaz.’
- ‘He runs his fingers along the ring finger of my left hand, tracing lines around the gold and diamond wedding band.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.