One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Having the shape of a ring; circular.‘ring-shaped islands made of coral’‘a ring-shaped cake’
round, disc-shaped, disc-likeView synonyms
- ‘The virus causes unsightly ring-shaped blemishes and drastically reduces the amount of fruit that a tree would otherwise produce.’
- ‘Bagels, like other ring-shaped objects, soon became the standard gift for women in childbirth because they were said to bring good luck and possess magical powers.’
- ‘The family spent Christmas Day snorkelling on the ring-shaped coral reef.’
- ‘While the red, scaly, ring-shaped lesions on your skin can be unattractive, they generally aren't serious.’
- ‘A ring-shaped hole has been cut in the hedge, through which a vista stretching 10 miles to St Paul's Cathedral can be seen.’
- ‘An atoll is a ring-shaped coral reef enclosing a shallow lagoon.’
- ‘In the Harry Potter books, Quidditch players fly through the air on their broomsticks over an oval-shaped pitch and attempt to get balls through elevated ring-shaped goals.’
- ‘Engineers and scientists are fascinated by the apparently near-magical properties of ring-shaped objects.’
- ‘In the Rhone Valley, there is a ring-shaped, anis-flavoured roll, called rioute and eaten as a snack with wine, which is also briefly boiled before baking.’
- ‘The infection is characterized by an itchy, red, often ring-shaped rash in these warm, moist areas of your body.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.