One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A sumo wrestler.
- ‘A rikishi who is ranked in one of the top two divisions of Sumo, are being paid a salary.’
- ‘In other bouts, the rikishi may grapple in an attempt to get a good grip on the mawashi and then launch a throw.’
- ‘Many rikishi have lost their impending contest because they were thinking about their bout the next day.’
- ‘Koshikudake is called when a rikishi loses balance for some reason, and falls to the dohyo.’
- ‘The remaining 25,000 yen is set aside in a fund to help the rikishi pay his taxes at the end of the fiscal year.’
- ‘Kyokushuzan was once one of my favorite rikishi, but now he fights like he is afraid of everybody.’
- ‘On TV Japan we get a lot more shots of many different rikishi doing shiko.’
Japanese, from riki ‘strength’ + shi ‘warrior’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.