Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1A right-handed person.
- ‘It is thought that this is because right-handed people are not used to facing lefties because there are fewer of them, while left-handed people play against righties most of the time.’
- ‘These clever machines can be set for backhand, forehand, approach and volleys - for lefties or righties - and they exist only at two places in the country.’
- ‘It was a little difficult because he was a lefty and I was a righty but we had managed before and we did this time.’
- ‘You'll be able to isolate which pitchers do best with three, four or five or more days rest; how they do against lefties or righties and which tend to perform best before or after the All Star Game break for example.’
- ‘You have to know your opponent: whether he's a righty or a lefty, whether he throws straight punches, or if he's a guy that holds on.’
- ‘Another result concerning handedness of the progeny of discordant monozygotic twins suggests that lefties are one gene apart from righties.’
- ‘The May Medal is to be played on Saturday week with Lefties versus righties.’
- ‘Or, are you a righty who wishes he had been born a lefty?’
- ‘We left-handers are considered more creative than them righties.’
- ‘The tournament was broken down into weight classes for men and women, as well as for righties and lefties.’
- ‘I'm a righty, so I lead with that side of my body, thus my right side is a little bit larger than my left side.’
- ‘Since I'm left handed and she's a righty, we share a pair as we find it's easier to wear one glove when removing leaves.’
- ‘However to all you righties out there this is just a start to how we attack this issue.’
- ‘And for the gun maniacs out there, I am neither a lefty nor a righty, nor do I belong to any political party or affiliation.’
- ‘‘There is only one voice being heard, which is the voice of the extremists, the righties on their side, calling for war,’ the student said.’
- ‘I'd say we righties aren't predictable mainly because we don't bitch very much - we just run things, like businesses, or countries.’
- ‘However, there is a fundamental difference in the philosophies of lefties and righties that makes righties more tolerant of corporate corruption.’
- ‘Thus the righties are more inclined to sing one tune - the tune of those in positions of authority - and lefties are more inclined to have many, varied perspectives on any given issue.’
- ‘Allow only lefties to review books by other lefties, as righties are too opposed to their views to give them a fair hearing?’
With the right hand or as customary for a right-handed person.‘he bats righty’
- ‘He also would bowl the first ball right-handed and challenge himself to pick up the spare left-handed, then starting lefty and finishing righty.’
- ‘What I always tell lefties is if you can possibly play righty do so.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.