One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The quality of being morally right or justifiable.‘we had little doubt about the righteousness of our cause’‘conviction of his own moral righteousness gave his oratory an irresistible power’
goodness, virtue, virtuousness, uprightness, decency, integrity, worthiness, rectitude, probity, morality, ethicalness, high-mindedness, justice, honesty, honour, honourableness, innocence, blamelessness, guiltlessness, irreproachability, sinlessness, saintliness, purity, nobility, noble-mindedness, piety, piousnessView synonyms
- ‘During this period he is urged to earn an honest living and follow righteousness.’
- ‘Seek ye first the kingdom of God and his righteousness and all of these things will be added unto you.’
- ‘He is a good-mannered hypocrite whose tedious righteousness has driven his beloved wife away.’
- ‘Sure, we have our opinion on the issues, but we don't think we have a monopoly on morality or righteousness.’
- ‘His life is taken as the perfect example for all to follow, and his teaching the only sure guide to righteousness.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.