One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A large elongated depression with steep walls formed by the downward displacement of a block of the earth's surface between nearly parallel faults or fault systems.
- ‘The most important discussion of volcanic activity focuses on the Owens Valley, which is in fact an active rift valley.’
- ‘Instead of being swallowed up, as in a typical rift valley, the sediments are spread widely over the basin or anywhere that is slightly lower than the uplifted area.’
- ‘Late in the Cenozoic, the main rift valley running through Ethiopia, Kenya, and points south, became the home of several species of large, noisy, and nearly hairless apes.’
- ‘Uganda has five prospective oil exploring areas along the western rift valley (the Albertine Grabe) covering an total area of nearly 22,000 square kilometers.’
- ‘The area we had surveyed was in the rift valley that lies along the center of the Mid-Atlantic Ridge, a mile-high undersea volcanic mountain range that traverses the Atlantic from north to south.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.