One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Braided trimming in a zigzag pattern, used as decoration on clothes.
cord, cording, braiding, bullion, thread, twine, yarn, tape, binding, ribbonView synonyms
- ‘Once the main parts of the figure were completed in felt, an assortment of ribbons, lace trim, rickrack, buttons, sequins and feathers were added to decorate the circus performers.’
- ‘Decorate the basket with craft paint or rickrack, as pictured here.’
- ‘They now use ready-made rickrack and shiny synthetic trimmings to adorn their garments.’
- ‘Alternate the pennants with others carrying sequential school photos, and clip them to rickrack.’
- ‘I found this little picture of a cushion made by Beth Lacefield in the latest edition of Home Companion and I suddenly thought that something like this might look quite fun appliquéd on a stocking with bright buttons and some rickrack.’
Late 19th century: of unknown origin.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.