One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A nocturnal rat that typically lives in marshy or damp areas, native to America, the Caribbean, and the Galapagos Islands.
- ‘Additionally, the cotton rat and rice rat are the rodent vectors in the southeastern United States for the Black Creek Canal and Bayou viruses, respectively; the whitefooted mouse carries the New York virus in the northeast.’
- ‘I'd like to see a Malagasy giant rat though, and a Coue's rice rat, and a naked mole rat, and even a big smelly cane rat.’
- ‘Pigs destroy the nests of marine turtles; dogs and cats kill land iguanas; black rats are wiping out native rice rats.’
- ‘Some rodents, especially the deer mouse, rice rat, white-footed mouse and cotton rat, may carry hantaviruses.’
- ‘The Fernandina rice rat and the Vietnamese warty pig, for example, were both declared extinct by the World Conservation Union in 1996.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.