Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A minute particle consisting of RNA and associated proteins found in large numbers in the cytoplasm of living cells. They bind messenger RNA and transfer RNA to synthesize polypeptides and proteins.
- ‘The smallest RNA component of almost all ribosomes is 5S ribosomal RNA.’
- ‘Thus transcribing RNA polymerases and ribosomes may all be bound to the same RNA molecule while marching in the same direction.’
- ‘Motors, such as RNA polymerases and ribosomes, produce trailing strands of mRNA and protein, respectively.’
- ‘Since these patterns are almost identical, it would appear that HMP associates with ribosomes or ribosomal proteins.’
- ‘This necessitated a mechanism for the import of the now nucleus-encoded proteins, which are synthesized at free ribosomes in the cytoplasm.’
1950s: from ribonucleic acid + -some.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.