Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1(especially of a fabric or garment) having a pattern of raised bands.‘a ribbed cashmere sweater’
embossed, relief, relievo, cameo, die-stamped, thermographed, ribbedView synonyms
- ‘Made from 100% cotton, this classic turtleneck is all brown and features a ribbed neckline and trimmed hemline.’
- ‘She is wearing white ribbed pantyhose, laced brown ankle boots.’
- ‘She continued the theme to the end with her gold velvet belle époque bustier ribbed dress, combining the English theme and modern low-stress dressing with great aplomb.’
- ‘A quick simple tip is to avoid wearing ribbed tops underneath thinner shirts because the texture will most likely show from underneath and it won't look good.’
- ‘Made from a soft wool blend, it features a gray, ribbed knit finish along the cuffs, collar and waistband, with brown suede patches on the elbows.’
- ‘Models in Veronica Lake hairdos strutted confidently down the runaway in armoured jackets and darted skirts over ribbed cashmere footless stockings and stiletto pumps.’
- ‘He took off his flannel shirt, leaving only a ribbed, white undershirt.’
- ‘He was wearing a dark coloured cardigan with a ribbed pattern and a shirt underneath.’
- ‘So if you have an old fur piece kicking about, pop it on over a tweed skirt teamed with ribbed tights and court shoes.’
- ‘If ribbed sweaters suit you, then by all means, slip one on.’
- ‘She said the attackers wore green ribbed pullovers with suede patches on the shoulders and ski-type masks.’
- ‘He was neatly dressed in a dark ribbed cardigan with a shirt underneath.’
- ‘For a dinner party, James put together a black DEX T-shirt, grey Mexx summer short-sleeved sweater and charcoal grey ribbed Mexx pants.’
- ‘Special feminine ribbed vests are also available in pale pink and white.’
- ‘High-school student Sarah Porchetta, 14, wears a Gap black ribbed turtleneck with checkered pants from Mariposa and Fila trainers.’
- ‘My mom dropped the knee-high argyles, and picked up some plain, gray ribbed socks.’
- ‘Made from polyamide, wool and mohair, this classic black cardigan features a ribbed neckline and subtle zipper closure.’
- ‘His trainers - a beige, Prada-esque creation - are more chill-out than warm-up and the black leather jacket and ribbed polo neck look like they climbed out of the sort of carrier bag you'd insure after you left the shop.’
- ‘The seat cushions are ribbed like an alligator's belly.’
- ‘She is wearing a black ribbed tank top, gray shorts, sandals and brown-tinted sunglasses.’
- 1.1Architecture (of a vault or other structure) strengthened with ribs.
- ‘Now a soaring ceiling, a dramatic stairway leading up to the bedrooms and study gallery, and a sculpturally ribbed cast-concrete fireplace add airiness and drama to the room.’
- ‘The cathedral is known for its influence on High Gothic, its flying buttresses, ribbed vaults, and multiple towers; for glass and carvings that pray and teach down the centuries.’
- ‘It is a circular covered arena designed in 1959 by Marcello Piacentini with the great engineer Pier Luigi Nervi, who covered the space with an elegant ribbed dome of reinforced concrete, resting on a dramatic framework of slanting piers.’
- ‘The new building resembled a mediaeval cathedral with its pointed arches, ribbed vaulting and flying buttresses.’
- ‘Its octagonal shape, ribbed wooden ceiling, and richly decorated stucco make it one of the finest churches in the Caribbean.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.