Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1The basic monetary unit of Iran and Oman, equal to 100 dinars in Iran and 1000 baiza in Oman.
- ‘People say we get paid in rials, the Iranian currency, but face expenses in dollars, which are worth much more.’
- ‘Despite having been awarded 180m rials each (don't get too excited, that's about £10,000) for making it to Germany, home for the Iran squad will be the modest family-run Ringhotel Krone in Friedrichshafen.’
- ‘Some other ‘royal’ currencies are the real, the rial (Iran, Oman, Yemen), and the riyal - all stemming from Latin regalis.’
- ‘The exchange rate gives some indication of this: there are about 9,000 rials to the US dollar.’
- ‘Mehdi Karoubi, a mid-ranking cleric and political moderate, has promised that if elected he will start paying everyone over the age of 18 the sum of 500000 rials every month - no questions asked.’
2variant spelling of riyal
- ‘The article states, ‘The cost of King Fahd's efforts in this field has been astronomical, amounting to many billions of Saudi riyals.’’
- ‘A Tamimi manager says the company pays an average salary of one Saudi riyal a day and grants leave once every two years.’
- ‘Please also do not close my accounts numbered above with you, but retain a sum of 1,000 Saudi riyals in each account.’
- ‘The ambassador is alleged to have deposited international drafts in Saudi Arabian riyals in amounts of between $2 million and $4 million, according to reports in the Washington Post.’
- ‘A large cache of ammunition, 250,000 riyals in cash and a check for 20 million Saudi riyals were all found in the terrorists' lair after the three-day standoff came to an end, indicating how well - armed and financed they were.’
Via Persian from Arabic riyāl (see riyal).
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.