Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Rhythmical quality or character.‘the nursery rhymes' rhythmicity makes them particularly easy to learn’
fluidity, flow, smoothness, effortlessness, ease, naturalnessView synonyms
- ‘One benefit applies to all the mind and body therapies, whether active or passive: A stillness, quietness, or rhythmicity helps create a flow, a centering effect, and a sense of calm.’
- ‘This link between habituation of acute cardiovascular responses and relatively rapid (yet gradual) normalization of heart rate rhythmicity suggests that mice adapt to adverse social conditions.’
- ‘The SCN has long been implicated in the circadian rhythmicity of wheel running, and the High-Runner mice display a shorter free-running circadian period than Control mice under both constant light and constant dark.’
- ‘Circadian rhythmicity in regulation of endogenous physiological processes is a characteristic feature of eukaryotic organisms.’
- ‘As a result of these characteristics, melatonin has been used by vertebrates to regulate biological rhythmicity and acts as a ‘chemical messenger of darkness’.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.