One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Any of a number of synthetic dyes derived from xanthene, used to color textiles.
- ‘Fluorescent images were obtained using a rhodamine filter cube.’
- ‘Typically, researchers can view no more than three colors at once with ordinary fluorescence labeling using proteins, such as green fluorescent protein, or organic dyes, such as rhodamine.’
- ‘Fluorescent quenching of ethidium bromide and of rhodamine covalently attached to DNA suggested that the DNA within neutral, reverse micelles was condensed.’
- ‘The beam profile was determined using a rhodamine sample in ethanol.’
- ‘For each single molecule measurement on a sparsely labeled filament, a rhodamine spot was selected based on colocalization with an actin filament aligned along the x axis.’
Late 19th century: from rhodo- ‘rose-colored’ + amine.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.