One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1The seventeenth letter of the Greek alphabet (Ρ, ρ), transliterated as ‘r’ or (when written with a rough breathing) ‘rh.’.
- ‘You can see the X symbol commonly today in the overprinted P and X symbols used by Catholics (meaning chi and rho - the first two letters of Christ's name).’
- ‘Alpha, rho, tau, sigma, omega: Ash went over the letters he saw in his mind while Lari just stared, apparently in her own little world.’
- ‘He had a dream in which he saw the chi and the rho, the first two Greek letters of Jesus' name, saying ‘In this sign, conquer’, and so he had that emblazoned on a banner he went out the next day under the name of the crucified.’
- ‘In some instances student groups such as Academy of Students of Pharmacy, Student Council, Rho Chi, Phi Lambda Sigma, or professional fraternities conducted the nominations and elections.’
- ‘This is from Kappa Delta Rho at the University of Delaware.’
- ‘That's how they ranked us: Alpha, Beta, Gamma, which was yours truly, Delta, then Rho and Sigma.’
- ‘You're never going to do the conversion right if you think r is equal to phi sine theta, because it isn't; r equals rho sine theta.’
- ‘Those in Rho Chi and Phi Lambda Sigma share common interests in attaining and nurturing meritorious academic achievement.’
- ‘She is a member of Sigma Rho Epsilon and Phi Sigma Pi and volunteers with Special Olympics, Natural Ties Program, and Vacation Bible School.’
- 1.1RhoAstronomy followed by Latin genitive The seventeenth star in a constellation.‘Rho Cassiopeiae’
- ‘The final list at the close of the book includes 47 Ursae Majoris, Rho Cancri A, Tau Boötis A, and Upsilon Andromedae.’
- ‘For nearly a decade, astronomers have patiently watched Rho Cassiopeiae, a bloated, relatively cool star 500,000 times brighter than the sun.’
- ‘Only a dozen such hypergiants are known, and scientists suspect that Rho Cassiopeiae will soon destroy itself in a supernova explosion.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.