One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(especially of the eyes) full of rheum; watery.
blurred, blurry, unfocusedView synonyms
- ‘Lee shifts his feet, startled at the giddy look in Wesley's rheumy eyes.’
- ‘It doesn't take much to put it all together; the rheumy eyes, the wrinkles, the unnatural emaciation, and that slight but unmistakable tremor in her hand.’
- ‘He's got more cheekbone than Snoop, bloodshot and rheumy eyes, and he's wearing a scruffy black overcoat and woolly hat.’
- ‘His rheumy eyes were wandering sightlessly, but his ears were locked on me and twitching.’
- ‘That creepy old retired nun with the rheumy face of a Martian had locked him in a closet in the basement.’
- ‘The trapper then tried to force movement in the aching and tired limbs; he jumped about like a rheumy drunk until he felt his bowed legs limbering to his efforts.’
- ‘‘Come and be touched by Oprah Winfrey’, he rattled, his rheumy eyes streaming, staring deep into my soul.’
- ‘Costley, however, does not come over as any rheumy romantic.’
- ‘We saw elderly monkeys with thick grey fur, big muscular bodies and rheumy eyes.’
- ‘Slightly apart stand a line of khaki-clad men, ancients with grizzled beards and yellow, rheumy eyes, dressed in tattered uniforms and battered solar topis.’
- ‘The old rheumy eyes swivel audibly away from the mushroom cloud of dust now settling near the fireplace.’
- ‘With one shaky hand he dabbed at his blood-shot, rheumy eyes, with the other he tap-tap-tapped continually at a hearing aid that looked like it had been built in the Eisenhower administration.’
- ‘Father Stone is standing closer, his eyes staring at me with the rheumy quality of the very old.’
- ‘He gave them a rheumy stare and climbed unsteadily to his feet.’
- ‘Appearing in other worldly guise, she had a hooked nose with rheumy cold, had cheeks sunken and walked lame.’
- ‘He has also confessed to murdering seven women and has emerged as one of the country's most hated criminals, his puffy features and rheumy eyes illustrating many magazine articles.’
- ‘They look relatively healthy - no bloated bellies or rheumy eyes - but after a few questions it emerges they have consumed only black tea in the past 48 hours.’
- ‘This is the moment in the funeral video that turns the slow, rheumy trickle from Gordon's eyes into flat-out crying.’
- ‘Sonia thinks about the restaurant owner with the rheumy eyes and the son who is no good.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.