A rare malignant tumor involving striated muscle tissue.
- ‘Pleomorphic rhabdomyosarcomas have more uniform, deeply eosinophilic cytoplasm and display cell-to-cell molding and cross-striations by light microscopy.’
- ‘One half of these malignancies are rhabdomyosarcomas originating in striated muscle.’
- ‘Equally unclear is the histogenesis of intracranial sarcomas and particularly rhabdomyosarcomas.’
- ‘David was diagnosed in May 2003 with a grapefruit-sized malignant brain tumour called a rhabdomyosarcoma, which was causing blindness and headaches.’
- ‘Intracranial rhabdomyosarcomas are rare neoplasms, and those thought to be primary meningeal tumors are even more rare.’
Late 19th century: from Greek rhabdos ‘rod’ + myo- + sarcoma.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.