Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
(of a storage medium) supporting overwriting of previously recorded data.
- ‘Toshiba's new model SDR1002 reads CDs at only 24X and records both write-once and rewritable media at what is nowadays a rather pokey 4X speed.’
- ‘DVD-RAM (DVD Random Access Memory) is the official DVD Forum-approved rewritable format.’
- ‘Maxell, for example, is planning to provide write-once and rewritable media to support RAM, RW, and + RW hardware.’
- ‘The video can also be output to a rewritable DVD player, although the software does not contain any specific hooks to software packages such as those made by companies like Roxio.’
- ‘If you've just gotta have one and don't want to buy a new PC to get it, there are two ways to add a rewritable DVD to your computer.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.