One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Provide (an appliance, building, or vehicle) with new electric wiring.
- ‘Paul and Ammie use the retreat as a time to sit down and map out what they want to accomplish: rewiring the electricity, putting on a new roof, or building a new deck.’
- ‘Council has allocated $45,000 towards restumping and rewiring the house, along with other minor repairs.’
- ‘On the recommendation of a friend I hired an electrician to rewire my office.’
- ‘The electrical short on George's car was a surprise, though, especially since we rewired both cars for the weekend.’
- ‘A local marine company had just rewired the boat, he said.’
- ‘There's nothing I can do short of rewiring the shack at $120 an hour.’
- ‘Or what about rewiring the airplane's electrical system through her cockpit chair?’
- ‘There are electric storage heaters in the house, which was rewired about 10 years ago.’
- ‘Lamps and electric appliances are rewired and repaired.’
- ‘If a building is wired with Category 5 or to a lesser extent with Category 5e cabling, it will need to be rewired sooner than a building wired with the draft Category 6 products.’
- ‘The Shinkins rented for 10 months while the house was rewired and replumbed.’
- ‘A further £150,000 has gone on rewiring the whole house, stripping modern sockets and switches from the ancient walls and replacing them with period counterparts.’
- ‘As well as replumbing and rewiring the house, he has put down polished wooden floors, added a stylish kitchen extension and had the back garden professionally landscaped.’
- ‘Teams of volunteer electricians rewire homes that have been cut off because families cannot afford the ‘privatized’ rates - which can be five times higher than in the recent past.’
- ‘Those with a vested interest in the investment industry would probably argue that you'd need a qualified surgeon to do a heart bypass, a trained electrician to rewire a house, and a suitable mechanic to repair a car.’
- ‘Potts says his company is currently involved in rewiring a building that had a new VDV system installed just four years ago because the design didn't include future growth considerations.’
- ‘They have carried out a wide variety of works for the Ambulance Service, from panel beating and engine repairs to rewiring electrical systems.’
- ‘An electrical engineer's report has revealed that the whole building should be rewired to meet health and safety regulations.’
- ‘The vessel was also rewired and various fire safety devices and anti-pollution equipment was installed.’
- ‘The facility has since rewired the docks and the service is much better, he said.’
in singular An instance of rewiring something.
- ‘A huge revamp entailed a full rewire, replumbing and central heating on the upper two floors so it can open all year round.’
- ‘Move the outlets to more functional positions and you can use the old outlets during the rewire, then switch systems seamlessly.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.