Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A pistol with revolving chambers enabling several shots to be fired without reloading.
- ‘He is accused of possessing a.22 double action Sentinel revolver recovered during a raid on a house in Toothill last year.’
- ‘I took it for granted she would know how to unload a double action revolver.’
- ‘Usually the toughest choice for an action star is whether to use a revolver or an assault rifle.’
- ‘They left the native mechanic and a disgruntled Atlee on board and, armed with shotguns, revolvers and machetes, set out on foot into the jungle for the lake.’
- ‘Some houses were commandeered in the village, and a fierce volley of fire was opened up, as rifles, revolvers, and hand-grenades were utilised.’
- ‘As Luke Fine drew and fired his Colt revolver, Charlie spun to his left as the bullets whizzed by him.’
- ‘Duke then fired two warning shots from his revolver, yet the freighter pressed on.’
- ‘The engineers told me they had done high-speed video of people shooting these monster revolvers.’
- ‘It caused an immediate sensation and was clearly the best thing that had ever happened to double-action revolvers.’
- ‘Finger grooves are featured on the grips for double-action revolvers, while metal inserts provide consistent fit.’
- ‘Secondly, Robert De Niro threatens a creditor with a revolver he bought, the result of more borrowing.’
- ‘He leapt up it as fast as he could, firing his last two revolver shots into the giant creature's head.’
- ‘A detailed analysis of weapons handed in shows the haul includes two revolvers, two single shot pistols and a converted blank firer.’
- ‘Josie fires the revolver, and the sound of the shot explodes into the air and disappears into the water.’
- ‘Instead, place appropriate handgun accessories along with the pistols and revolvers in a display case.’
- ‘Vintage Colt revolvers can still provide a great deal of shooting enjoyment.’
- ‘That's why full-size and large-frame pistols and revolvers sell better than pocket handguns.’
- ‘Now I'm in hog heaven, with two fine revolvers to fire what is now my favorite handgun cartridge.’
- ‘The weapons included a revolver, a semi-automatic pistol and a sub-machine gun.’
- ‘Simultaneously, men rose from their places on the grand stand, and fired three quick shots with revolvers into the air.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.