One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A white light at the rear of a vehicle that comes on when the vehicle is reversing; a backup light.US term backup light
- ‘Her reversing lights came on and I thought she was going to try to turn round.’
- ‘From the back, the clean horizontal lines are reflected in the narrow lines of the twin reversing light segments of the tidy lighting clusters.’
- ‘This cluster would also feature normal orange indicators and white reversing lights but which cannot be seen within the red tail light cluster when not in operation.’
- ‘The officer described how, before he had time to dismount, the car's reversing lights came on and the engine revved.’
- ‘I made new tail light clusters which had a hole where the reversing lights used to be - the rules did not say you couldn't cut holes in the tail lights!’
- ‘An eyewitness said: ‘Her reversing lights came on and the back of her vehicle hit another car.’’
- ‘I also loved the centrally mounted reversing light, which is not only stylish but makes your intentions abundantly clear to others.’
- ‘The reversing light is a nice touch, and I for one thought that was the exhaust pipe until closer inspection revealed my error.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.