One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A gear used to make a vehicle or piece of machinery move or work backward.
- ‘The vehicle is powered by a 660 hp V8 diesel engine from Cummins, coupled to a ZF Gears Ltd automatic transmission with four forward and two reverse gears.’
- ‘I say, if you don't have a reverse gear you shouldn't be driving a car - or a train.’
- ‘Unfortunately, the reverse gear - which is far over to the left beyond the first - can be difficult to engage.’
- ‘Engaging reverse gear takes more effort though.’
- ‘The automatic transmission, manufactured under licence from Renk of Ausburg in Germany, has five forward gears and one reverse gear.’
- ‘The fourth mode is a driver-selectable ‘lock’ setting, which only operates in first, second and reverse gears.’
- ‘The system is based on the 5-speed transaxle on the Opel Astra with fifth gear and reverse gear eliminated.’
- ‘‘Henry Ford forgot to include the reverse gear in the first car he made,’ Mr. Rao tells the students.’
- ‘The Curved Dash Oldsmobile, named for the unique shape of its footboard, had a single cylinder four horse power engine, two forward speeds and a reverse gear.’
- ‘It features a 400 horse-power, six-cylinder turbocharged Cummins engine with four forward and three reverse gears.’
- ‘All modern big engines on my railroad use a screw reverse gear with a homemade air motor powering the hand-wheel.’
- ‘It gives drivers of the Defender a high and low ratio, along with ten forward and two reverse gears.’
- ‘The jeep slowly starts ascending in the top gears with frequent reverse gears at the u-turns.’
- ‘The Wincott Toylander II is a faithful half-size version of an early Land Rover, complete with forward and reverse gears, a horn and lights.’
- ‘Vehicles fitted with the DVD full-map navigation system will also be equipped with the Toyota Parking Assist System that provides a colour view of the area around the rear of the car when reverse gear is selected.’
- ‘With a hydrostatic transmission, reverse gears are as fast as forward gears, an essential attribute when constructing trails in fresh new snow requiring a lot of back and forth ‘dozing.’’
- ‘The fuel and speed gauges kept failing and the couple also had trouble finding first and reverse gears at different times.’
- ‘Most home-brew electric cars using DC motors use the reverse gear built into the manual transmission.’
- ‘The only vehicles which had more reverse gears were Italian tanks in the last war, so the saying went.’
- ‘That almost never happens today because almost all cars with automatic transmissions have a lockout feature: they cannot be switched into reverse gear unless the driver's foot depresses the brake pedal.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.