Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The distribution of a portion of federal tax revenues to state and local governments.
- ‘While revenue sharing and a salary cap maintained the league's tight competitive balance, financial disparities among the teams were growing.’
- ‘You have to have comprehensive revenue sharing, and it's got to be based not on a ‘Robin Hood’ scheme, where the rich just hand it over to the less rich.’
- ‘Federal and state investigators are also looking into revenue sharing.’
- ‘Chief government negotiator G.L. Peiris has said the parties will discuss revenue sharing under a federal structure.’
- ‘Of course, there must be firm protections for the Kurds, along with revenue sharing.’
- ‘The three other key issues are revenue sharing under a federal power-sharing system, humanitarian aid and reconstruction, and human rights issues.’
- ‘Under the special autonomy status, Aceh obtains 80 percent of the revenue sharing from the exploitation of its natural resources.’
- ‘Both sides agree that there needs to be more revenue sharing than there has been in the past, but they differ on just how much, and then there is the idea of a competitive balance tax, or a luxury tax.’
- ‘The old revenue sharing program required a federal bureaucracy of about a hundred people in the Treasury Department.’
- ‘It would seem to me that, with the federal cuts and the additional burdens put on cities and states, that we ought to think about revenue sharing now.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.