One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
with object Try (a defendant or case) again.
- ‘I am unable to conclude therefore that the defendant would have any reasonable prospect of success if the matter were now to be retried.’
- ‘You cannot just keep retrying cases and cases, that is the law.’
- ‘Because the verdict was critically tainted, it ordered that the defendant be retried.’
- ‘The Appeals Chamber may dismiss the appeal, or acquit the appellant, or order that the accused be retried, or change the sentence.’
- ‘Seven months later, the accused was retried and found guilty as charged.’
no object Re-enter a command, especially differently because one has made an error the first time.
- ‘Since Cleanfeed gives a ‘not found’ error, people visiting the sites are going to assume that it was an error and probably retry at least once.’
- ‘When you retry you will have to sit for thirty seconds while it loads.’
- ‘Try shutting them down one at a time, and retrying your install.’
- ‘Bizarrely, retrying the original dates threw up the same error message.’
- ‘The browser will then ask the user to retry their user name and password.’
- 2.1 (of a system) transmit data again because the first attempt was unsuccessful.
- ‘If you insert a CD and choose Retry, it will retry as if nothing had gone wrong.’
- ‘If unexpected values are detected, the system employs either a clean-up approach, retries the calculation, outputs a previously calculated value or uses the most significant bit-flip correction scheme.’
- ‘In addition, the servers ship with a tool that will retry failed instructions immediately, taking away the need to flush and rebuild software buffers.’
- ‘By default, both the client and server run in the background, messages are logged to ‘syslog’ and the system waits a few seconds then retries after non-permanent errors.’
- ‘Few messages were rejected during the import process; those that were simply were retried by the source SMTP servers.’
An instance of re-entering a command or retransmitting data.
- ‘For 18GB drives and highspeed 10,000 rpm drives, it is also important to minimize drive vibration to avoid excessive disk errors and time-consuming retries.’
- ‘Key factors they published were time to connect, average number of retries, number of unexpected disconnects, download speeds for a range of file sizes, and so on.’
- ‘If, for instance, a message cannot be delivered, it is scheduled to be delivered later, without immediately initiating a continuous retry.’
- ‘By using the redundant drive, time wasting retries can be eliminated by enabling real-time correction on the controller for failed or slow responding disks.’
- ‘A phenomenon known as a ‘ping-pong’ can occur causing retry after retry of a connection until timing allows one participant to finally ‘win.’’
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.