- trademark for zidovudine
- ‘Yesterday the UK drug behemoth launched its reformulated Aids medicine Trizivir, based around three existing drugs, namely Ziagen, Epivir and Retrovir.’
- ‘A typical anti-HIV cocktail consists of one protease inhibitor, such as Kaletra or Viracept, and two nucleoside reverse transcriptase inhibitors, such as Zerit, Retrovir, and Videx.’
- ‘Ritonavir may be confused with Retrovir ® which is the brand name of zidovudine, an antiretroviral nucleoside which is also used in the treatment of AIDS.’
- ‘The drugs, Retrovir and Epivir are administered to health care workers within 24 hours of an accidental needle stick.’
- ‘The pharmaceutical company announced it would also reduce the price of Epivir, commonly known at 3TC and Retrovir, also known as AZT, by 45% and 38% respectively.’
1980s: abbreviation of retrovirus.