Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A small auxiliary rocket on a spacecraft or missile, fired in the direction of travel to slow the craft down, for example, when landing on the surface of a planet.→ retro
- ‘The pod's retrorockets fired up, easing its fall but they were a little too slow in activating.’
- ‘If space is a vacuum, then how do space capsule's retrorockets steer?’
- ‘Scientists studied the rover landing site images to determine the likely reflectance properties of Mars Polar Lander's parachute and the blast zone created on the Martian surface by Mars Polar Lander's retrorockets.’
- ‘At that point, the probe drops down on a tether that is as skinny as a shoelace, to keep it a safe distance away when the lander's retrorockets fire.’
- ‘The entry, descent and landing system will utilise key technologies involving airbags and possibly retrorockets.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.