One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A system of criminal justice based on the punishment of offenders rather than on rehabilitation.
- ‘Archbishop Desmond Tutu has often spoken of the need to forgo retributive justice in order to balance truth, justice, and reconciliation.’
- ‘Certain scholars interpret this story as a case of "retributive justice," where justice is served by allowing those who suffered to wreak a similar type of revenge upon their enemies.’
- ‘They generally support social and retributive justice as ends in themselves.’
- ‘Let's either apply retributive justice evenly - against white collar and street criminals alike - or let's give restorative justice a try across the board.’
- ‘In the mercy of God, there is no retributive justice, no eye for an eye, no settling of scores.’
- ‘But there is likely to be little retributive justice for past crimes.’
- ‘So I would say that even just in terms of retributive justice, the process did not mean letting off the perpetrator.’
- ‘Retributive justice is the notion that you respond to hurt with more hurt.’
- ‘I did correctly predict one or two of his points: that progressive justice supports the self interest of its practitioners and that one of the virtues of retributive justice is that it reinforces the badness of crimes in the public mind.’
- ‘Australia should move from retributive justice to restorative justice, argues Peter Norden.’
- ‘I believe in simple, retributive justice, which has its roots in the dawn of human history.’
- ‘Retributive justice is about punishing and blaming people who have done something which is morally wrong.’
- ‘The concept of retributive justice that follows karma is a deterrent to immoral life and a strong incentive for a person to live an ethical and decent life.’
- ‘He challenged "that the cycle of reprisal and counter-reprisal had to be broken and that the only way to do this was to go beyond retributive justice to restorative justice "’
- ‘Where does that amazing diatribe leave sufferers seeking solace, or victims seeking retributive justice?’
- ‘The case had sparked off a nation-wide debate on the relevance of the death penalty or retributive justice even in such heinous crimes.’
- ‘As I thought about what had gone on in South Africa, I too sometimes felt that the qualities of soul required to restrain the impulse of retributive justice came close to saintliness.’
- ‘Holloway, though, is looking for a model which will turn retributive justice into restorative justice.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.