One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A second or further trial.
court case, case, lawsuit, suit, hearing, enquiry, tribunal, litigation, judicial proceedings, legal proceedings, proceedings, legal actionView synonyms
- ‘She manages to locate some evidence that was held back by the prosecution in Darnell's first trial and in the course of a retrial, Darnell is proven innocent and set free.’
- ‘It is a serious crime and the retrial can be conducted without unfairness to the defendant.’
- ‘His lawyers say he should get a retrial because of ‘confusing instructions’ the judge gave the jury.’
- ‘The International Court's ruling didn't call for the invalidation of the verdicts or sentences for the men, or even mandate retrials, just reviews.’
- ‘The Supreme Court would most likely remit the matter for a retrial in the High Court, which leaves her in a much better position than she is now.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.