One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A second or further trial.
court case, case, lawsuit, suit, hearing, enquiry, tribunal, litigation, judicial proceedings, legal proceedings, proceedings, legal actionView synonyms
- ‘It is a serious crime and the retrial can be conducted without unfairness to the defendant.’
- ‘She manages to locate some evidence that was held back by the prosecution in Darnell's first trial and in the course of a retrial, Darnell is proven innocent and set free.’
- ‘His lawyers say he should get a retrial because of ‘confusing instructions’ the judge gave the jury.’
- ‘The Supreme Court would most likely remit the matter for a retrial in the High Court, which leaves her in a much better position than she is now.’
- ‘The International Court's ruling didn't call for the invalidation of the verdicts or sentences for the men, or even mandate retrials, just reviews.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.