One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A house or apartment in which a person lives in old age, especially one in a complex designed for the needs of old people.
- ‘Shaun Lawson photographed residents in a retirement home for his Home Portraits series.’
- ‘They were an elderly couple that had lived in the retirement home for years.’
- ‘‘Hi. I'm here to visit Maria Furmano,’ Josh said at the security guard's desk when we arrived at the retirement home.’
- ‘Munetomo says he runs the largest retirement home in the Philippines specifically catering to Japanese retirees.’
- ‘Grandparents often live in their own house or a retirement home; women frequently work outside the home.’
- ‘He had left his car at the retirement home the last time he had visited his grandmother, so we had to walk to the restaurant.’
- ‘Over time it gradually strayed from its mandate and became a desirable retirement home for wealthy citizens.’
- ‘But they weren't ready for an apartment or a retirement home.’
- ‘A half hour later, I was walking into the retirement home that Josh's grandmother lived in.’
- ‘I had seen his picture in the retirement home, framed and hanging on my grandmother's wall.’
- ‘You might host a fundraiser for a retirement home in your neighborhood or trim the Christmas tree for the elderly couple next door.’
- ‘My age seems to finally be getting to me and I'm going to have to move into a retirement home.’
- ‘I could see why elderly people would want to live in this particular retirement home.’
- 1.1 An institution for elderly people needing care.
institution, residential home, nursing home, old people's home, convalescent home, rest home, children's homeView synonyms
- ‘Interestingly, the word disability has not been defined in the legislation but the industry is interpreting this as including the need to enter a retirement home.’
- ‘It is clear from the financial and affidavit materials filed that the only reasonable accommodation for Mrs. Schryer is at a long term care facility and retirement home.’
- ‘As the average life span of Norwegians has increased, a shortage of nursing and retirement homes has developed.’
- ‘The housing stock may prove inappropriate for future needs if more and more elderly end their days in retirement homes.’
- ‘A kindly gentleman at a posh retirement home / hospital likes to read to the white-haired lady, whose memory is on the blink.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.