attributive Relating to or denoting a diverse system of fixed and circulating phagocytic cells (macrophages and monocytes) involved in the immune response. They are spread throughout the body, and are especially common in the liver, spleen, and lymphatic system.Also called lymphoreticular
- ‘Dengue virus antigen has been found in a variety of tissues, predominately the liver and reticuloendothelial system.’
- ‘Infections in these patients localize to the viscera rather than the skin, and parasites are found throughout the reticuloendothelial system.’
- ‘We speculated about the possible involvement of the cutaneous reticuloendothelial system in the clearance of the skin lesions.’
- ‘Macrophages throughout the reticuloendothelial system ingest and sequester the organism.’
- ‘Their cell membranes rupture and the released hemoglobin is phagocytized by reticuloendothelial cells throughout the body.’
1920s: from reticulum + endothelial (see endothelium).
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.