One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
attributive Relating to or denoting a diverse system of fixed and circulating phagocytic cells (macrophages and monocytes) involved in the immune response. They are spread throughout the body, and are especially common in the liver, spleen, and lymphatic system.Also called lymphoreticular
- ‘Macrophages throughout the reticuloendothelial system ingest and sequester the organism.’
- ‘Dengue virus antigen has been found in a variety of tissues, predominately the liver and reticuloendothelial system.’
- ‘Their cell membranes rupture and the released hemoglobin is phagocytized by reticuloendothelial cells throughout the body.’
- ‘Infections in these patients localize to the viscera rather than the skin, and parasites are found throughout the reticuloendothelial system.’
- ‘We speculated about the possible involvement of the cutaneous reticuloendothelial system in the clearance of the skin lesions.’
1920s: from reticulum + endothelial (see endothelium).
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.