One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A diffuse network of nerve pathways in the brainstem connecting the spinal cord, cerebrum, and cerebellum, and mediating the overall level of consciousness.
- ‘The mechanisms of arousal involve both direct and indirect connections of receptors with the central nervous system and parts of the reticular formation.’
- ‘The spongy degeneration in the brain stem and spinal cord, especially in the reticular formation, has been found to relate closely to learning and memory deficits.’
- ‘Suggestions for regions of the brain that could be the site of action have included the brain stem reticular formation, the cerebral cortex, and the thalamus.’
- ‘For example, it is possible that the brainstem reticular formation is divided into the same number of nuclei in all jawed vertebrates.’
- ‘In the central nervous system, the reticular activating system is a major pathway for communication between the brain and the rest of the body.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.