One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(of a leaf, flower, fruiting body, etc.) upside down.
- ‘The flowers are resupinate, protandrous and last for 2 days.’
- ‘Both the kulumbellids and the aenigmastrophiids contain stricklandioids with aberrant features, such as resupinate or strophic shells and reduced or degenerated cardinalia.’
- ‘Santanghuia has resupinate shells, a semicircular outline, a catacline ventral interarea and the delicate ornament of Chonostrophiella, however, the internal dorsal anderidium arrangement of Santanghuia is highly distinctive.’
- ‘Kulumbella biconvexa has a biconvex and transversely extended shell, which differs from the typical Kulumbella with a resupinate or convexoconcave shell.’
- ‘It should be noted that typical K. kulumbensis has a Strophomena-lype resupinate shell (the ventral valve being largely concave) bearing sharp, divaricate costae.’
Late 18th century: from Latin resupinatus ‘bent back’, past participle of resupinare, based on supinus ‘lying on the back’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.