The recurrence of abnormal narrowing of an artery or valve after corrective surgery.
- ‘The majority of patients experienced further cardiac events because of restenosis and atherosclerotic coronary artery and SVG disease progression.’
- ‘For over a quarter of a century percutaneous coronary interventions have been used to treat patients with coronary artery disease, yet restenosis continues to be a problem.’
- ‘Carotid angioplasty aids the management of fibromuscular dysplasia, radiation injury, and symptomatic restenosis after carotid endarterectomy.’
- ‘They speculate that the radiation will work in much the same way it does when used to prevent restenosis from occurring in arteries in the heart.’
- ‘However, in similar coronary artery studies, antiplatelet treatment has no effect on restenosis compared with placebo.’
1950s: from re- again + stenosis.