One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Used to express a wish that God should grant someone's soul peace.
- ‘His father, god rest his soul, was the owner of a multi-million dollar car company.’
- ‘Well, we can thank my mom for that, rest her soul.’
- ‘My father - God rest his soul - knew it would happen.’
- ‘The Republic lost a hell of an asset when he died, God rest his soul.’
- ‘When your mother died, God rest her soul, I was so lonely.’
- ‘MY dear old mum, rest her soul, was not a judgmental sort of lady.’
- ‘To this day, the smell of stale ash reminds me of him, God rest his soul.’
- ‘His father - god rest his soul - had been the cook and the eater of the house, and after his death Liam was in charge of the shopping.’
- ‘My husband, god rest his soul, was a hard working man.’
- ‘I will not tolerate it, because your father, God rest his soul, would not have tolerated it.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.