One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Used to express a wish that God should grant someone's soul peace.
- ‘I will not tolerate it, because your father, God rest his soul, would not have tolerated it.’
- ‘The Republic lost a hell of an asset when he died, God rest his soul.’
- ‘His father, god rest his soul, was the owner of a multi-million dollar car company.’
- ‘My father - God rest his soul - knew it would happen.’
- ‘His father - god rest his soul - had been the cook and the eater of the house, and after his death Liam was in charge of the shopping.’
- ‘When your mother died, God rest her soul, I was so lonely.’
- ‘My husband, god rest his soul, was a hard working man.’
- ‘MY dear old mum, rest her soul, was not a judgmental sort of lady.’
- ‘To this day, the smell of stale ash reminds me of him, God rest his soul.’
- ‘Well, we can thank my mom for that, rest her soul.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.