A paramyxovirus that causes disease of the respiratory tract. It is a major cause of bronchiolitis and pneumonia in young children and may be a contributing factor in sudden infant death syndrome.
- ‘Symptoms of influenza-like illness can be caused by multiple respiratory viruses, including respiratory syncytial virus, parainfluenza virus, adenovirus, rhinovirus, and coronavirus.’
- ‘Earlier stage research programs include vaccines for respiratory syncytial virus and herpes simplex virus.’
- ‘In addition, illnesses with other etiologies such as parainfluenza, respiratory syncytial virus, adenovirus, allergies, and bacterial pneumonia can have symptoms similar to those of influenza.’
- ‘Ribavirin is an antiviral that is approved for treating young children with severe lower respiratory tract infections due to respiratory syncytial virus.’
- ‘These viruses, most common in fall, winter, and early spring, include influenza virus, respiratory syncytial virus, parainfluenza virus, adenovirus, coronavirus, and rhinovirus.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.