One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The ratio of the volume of carbon dioxide evolved to that of oxygen consumed by an organism, tissue, or cell in a given time.
- ‘Breath-by-breath gas analysis was used to determine peak oxygen uptake, exercise ventilation, and respiratory quotient.’
- ‘The respiratory quotient was often outside normal parameters.’
- ‘The alveolar-arterial oxygen pressure difference was calculated for each sample by the alveolar gas equation, using the measured respiratory quotient during the same time point of exercise.’
- ‘The respiratory quotient may also reflect tissue damage.’
- ‘The respiratory quotient is the amount of CO 2 relative to the amount of O 2 consumed (in normal situations this is approximately 0.8)’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.