Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1Absorb (something) again.‘the ability to resorb valuable solutes from the urine’
- ‘When nutrients are resorbed from senescing leaves, they are transported from the entire area of a leaf blade to a single output point at the base of the petiole.’
- ‘Over a period of 1 week the air bubble is resorbed and replaced by fluids created within the eye.’
- ‘The best galena crystals were those recovered from the gold/sphalerite ore, where bright, partially resorbed crystals to 4 mm occurred on larger sphalerite crystals and were associated with hoppered gold crystals.’
- ‘Most or all of these narrow exozones were resorbed in turn from the outside inwardly and new colony growth cycles of endozone and narrow exozone were developed around the new tips that increased the lengths of growing branches.’
- ‘In their novel gas retention regime, soluble gases are resorbed back into the glass rather than expelled out of the compacting deposit.’
- 1.1Physiology Remove (cells, or a tissue or structure) by gradual breakdown into component materials and dispersal in the circulation.‘bone tissue will be resorbed’
- ‘When adjacent to host bone, the allograft remodeled and incorporated; when isolated within the fatty medullary canal, it was more likely to be completely resorbed.’
- ‘Bone is continually laid down and also resorbed.’
- ‘Here, we can observe dentine tubules around which the apatite has been partially resorbed.’
- ‘The pus can either drain from the surface or be slowly resorbed.’
- ‘Furthermore, it will be resorbed if it is not needed and conversely will develop where it is required.’
Mid 17th century: from Latin resorbere, from re- (expressing intensive force) + sorbere ‘absorb’.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.