Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Having accepted something unpleasant that one cannot do anything about.‘my response is a resigned shrug of the shoulders’
- ‘His work was a flaming call to arms; hers is resigned, melancholy, even funereal.’
- ‘Instead he seems to be happily resigned to it.’
- ‘I was proud of myself for giving up for a while, than resigned, and then I realized that the whole thing was semantics anyway.’
- ‘So they are resigned to the fact that there could be another deadly attack which they simply can't prevent.’
- ‘Three years later, they are resigned to the demands of parenthood.’
- ‘Shrugging her shoulders as she says this, she is resigned rather than rational.’
- ‘Some argue at being stopped, others cajole, others are resigned.’
- ‘The town of 3,000 inhabitants are resigned to the bear sanctuary on their doorstep.’
- ‘There was a new tone not previously heard in his voice, a resigned one.’
- ‘He does seem resigned to her presence now.’
- ‘"I'm not concerned," he says with a resigned grin.’
- ‘Akiko glances at it and looks resigned, then hopeful.’
- ‘Instead of being outraged, many ranchers seemed resigned.’
- ‘Without treatment, a person with avoidant personality disorder may become resigned to a life of near or total isolation.’
- ‘Now, my response is a resigned shrug of the shoulders.’
- ‘There was an audible sign of resigned frustration from my fellow passengers.’
- ‘He seems to be resigned to the fact that there will be no indictments.’
- ‘One by one, people tell their dark tales in solemn, angry and/or resigned tones.’
- ‘But today, she was more resigned to her fate.’
- ‘They claim a minority are resigned to renting permanently.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.