Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The stress present in an object in the absence of any external load or force.
- ‘These two microstructural elements both have adverse effects on the distribution of residual stress in the case-hardened part.’
- ‘Factors that affect the stress-corrosion susceptibility of high-strength steels are their composition, structure, strength level, applied stress, residual stress, environment and time.’
- ‘Aftershocks are generally the result of the release of residual stress in areas not ruptured in the main shock.’
- ‘In the no-load state, the inner wall is under compression whereas the outer wall is in tension because of the existence of residual stress and strain.’
- ‘Machining operations also can result in residual stress and require intermediate stress relieving prior to final machining.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.