Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The stress present in an object in the absence of any external load or force.
- ‘In the no-load state, the inner wall is under compression whereas the outer wall is in tension because of the existence of residual stress and strain.’
- ‘Factors that affect the stress-corrosion susceptibility of high-strength steels are their composition, structure, strength level, applied stress, residual stress, environment and time.’
- ‘These two microstructural elements both have adverse effects on the distribution of residual stress in the case-hardened part.’
- ‘Machining operations also can result in residual stress and require intermediate stress relieving prior to final machining.’
- ‘Aftershocks are generally the result of the release of residual stress in areas not ruptured in the main shock.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.