Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1Relating to or involving residence in an establishment or place.
living, residing, in residence, staying, remainingView synonyms
- ‘This is not only a saving to the proprietor, but in a county where hay and corn are scarce commodities, must be an object of importance to the residentiary population.’
- ‘The residentiary' sector appears as the key to economic transformation.’
- ‘And the division of labour, trade, and inter-industry transactions developed in the residentiary sector.’
- 1.1 Required to live officially in a cathedral or collegiate church.
- ‘The responses received also included questionnaires filled in by 100 licensed lay workers, 56 archdeacons, 18 bishops, 13 deans or provosts and 61 residentiary canons.’
- ‘The cathedral has been run by the senior residentiary canon.’
- ‘He took up the post of executive secretary of the Board of Mission, which was linked to being a residentiary canon at Bradford Cathedral.’
- ‘She became one of the first women ordained to the priesthood in 1994, moving to Salisbury the following year as canon treasurer, one of the cathedral's three residentiary canons.’
- ‘And why do we need three residentiary canons at the cathedral?’
A residentiary canon.
inhabitant, localView synonyms
- ‘Damett was a canon 1419-36, becoming a residentiary in May 1427.’
- ‘The present Bishop of Chichester holds the Archdeaconry of the Diocese, and is a Residentiary in the Cathedral Church, where he was enthroned March 8, 1798.’
- ‘Sir Frederick was appointed precentor whilst a non-residentiary in 1855, but became a residentiary in 1886, three years before his death.’
Early 16th century (as a noun): from medieval Latin residentiarius, from Latin resident- ‘remaining’ (see resident).
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.