One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A delegate elected to represent a dependency, such as Puerto Rico, in the US House of Representatives. They are able to speak in the House and serve on committees, but may not vote.
- ‘An elected resident commissioner represents the island in the U.S. Congress but has no vote.’
- ‘At National level, a resident commissioner was charged with the overall coordination of provinces and districts while the minister of Local Government was responsible for local government administration.’
- ‘Puerto Rico's lone representative to that body, a resident commissioner in the House, has voice but no vote except in committees.’
- ‘Aside from the nonvoting resident commissioner, Puerto Ricans lack representation in Congress.’
- ‘The island is represented in the U.S House of Representatives by a resident commissioner, which for many years was a nonvoting position.’
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.