One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
repayment, reward, return, payment, recompense, reparationrevenge, vengeance, retribution, retaliation, redress, satisfactionView synonyms
- ‘As a result, the juvenile justice system has emphasized rehabilitation, not retribution, requital, or punishment.’
- ‘I have taken a strong position against schemes of extortion from the fellow citizens of people here in America, based on the idea that somehow or another that would be requital for slavery.’
- ‘You still desire the satisfaction of revenge as requital for the pain you felt.’
- ‘So Hamlet has sent multiple letters to Ophelia without requital prior to his appearance in her closet, and the ‘declension’ which Polonius describes in ‘a short tale’ occurred over some period.’
- ‘We saw earlier that, although human punishment does not bear the full burden of requiting good and evil, it must hold up requital as an ideal.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.