One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
repayment, reward, return, payment, recompense, reparationrevenge, vengeance, retribution, retaliation, redress, satisfactionView synonyms
- ‘As a result, the juvenile justice system has emphasized rehabilitation, not retribution, requital, or punishment.’
- ‘We saw earlier that, although human punishment does not bear the full burden of requiting good and evil, it must hold up requital as an ideal.’
- ‘So Hamlet has sent multiple letters to Ophelia without requital prior to his appearance in her closet, and the ‘declension’ which Polonius describes in ‘a short tale’ occurred over some period.’
- ‘I have taken a strong position against schemes of extortion from the fellow citizens of people here in America, based on the idea that somehow or another that would be requital for slavery.’
- ‘You still desire the satisfaction of revenge as requital for the pain you felt.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.