Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1Relating to or characteristic of reptiles.‘the reptilian ancestors of mammals’
reptileunpleasant, distasteful, nasty, disagreeable, unappealing, unattractive, off-putting, horrible, horridView synonyms
- ‘Figure 16 pictures a three-headed reptilian bird chasing a hunter who is armed with a gun.’
- ‘Let us consider first the simpler explanation of a series of morphological evolutionary changes in the evolution of avian feathers from reptilian scales.’
- ‘Mammals, as we have learned to expect, employ a bizarre and pointlessly complicated variation on the straightforward and logical reptilian plan.’
- ‘Vertebrate animals (mammals, birds, theropod dinosaurs) develop larger brains then their earlier reptilian ancestors.’
- ‘Two of the bones found in the reptilian jaw are nearly identical to two of the bones in the mammalian inner ear.’
- ‘At the time, paleontologists were stuck in a reptilian perspective on dinosaurs.’
- ‘In proportion to body size, mammals have brains about ten times the size of reptilian brains.’
- ‘Enormous temporal fossae for very strong jaw muscles, formed by just one of the reptilian jaw muscles, which has now become the mammalian masseter.’
- ‘Dehydration can cause serious health problems in any reptilian species.’
- ‘Although old drawings of Tyrannosaurus rex give the beast an almost erect stance and a long reptilian tail, which dragged on the ground.’
- ‘Turtles and iguanas are the most common reptilian sources of the infection.’
- ‘This is a sequence of fossils which shows in great detail how the mammalian inner ear bones evolved from similar bones in the reptilian jaw.’
- ‘Like all reflexes, the startle reflects activity of the brain stem, the most primitive, reptilian part of the brain.’
- ‘You have to admit that there's something fascinating about dinosaurs, those lumbering reptilian giants of a bygone age.’
- ‘The reptilian scale has absolutely nothing to do with follicles.’
- ‘At our study site, the predator guild includes avian, mammalian, and reptilian species.’
- ‘Therefore, it had nothing to do with demonstrating how the genetic information coding for feathers could have arisen in the imagined reptilian ancestors of birds.’
- ‘Autumn has arrived and with the cooler weather our amphibian and reptilian friends will be looking for somewhere to call home over the winter.’
- ‘Named after their spotted coats and fearsome jaws, leopard seals have large, reptilian heads and streamlined bodies.’
- ‘Still had true socketed teeth, a reptilian trait.’
2(of a person) deeply disliked and despised; repulsive.‘a reptilian villain with no redeeming features’
- ‘The script called for her to be sympathetic, in spite of his reptilian appearance.’
- ‘But here he distils horror by showing it in slow passage through the ageing, reptilian contours of Michael Caine's face.’
- ‘Mr. Chen laughed in his quiet, reptilian way.’
- ‘Boyle is Sidney Greenstreet - ish, minus the reptilian glamour.’
- ‘That is, the mechanism that should concern us is our own reptilian nature.’
- ‘In fact, a lot of those B players are still around today - the reptilian Richard Perle for example.’
- ‘Her blue eyes, entirely void of make up, gave her face a strange, reptilian look.’
- ‘Judge Dave Ryan is also a friend to children; however, he can't fly, and he lacks a hard, reptilian protective shell.’
- ‘He can feel Martin out there waiting his time with the cold reptilian patience of the perfect agent.’
- ‘Sincere roles are not only out of character for Jim Carey, they are entirely alien to his reptilian nature.’
- ‘Nick Stahl does a good job portraying Bobby as a vicious, detestable bully (with perhaps just a hint of reptilian charisma).’
An animal belonging to the class "Reptilia"; a reptile.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.