Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
An enzyme that catalyzes the synthesis of a complementary RNA molecule using an RNA template.
- ‘As a replicase, Pol is highly sensitive to template defects and misinserts nucleotides only extremely rarely.’
- ‘In viruses, these readthrough events are responsible for the expression of elongated proteins that normally provide the replicase function of the virus.’
- ‘The estimate is based on a large mutational target, the 804-base TMV MP gene that encodes the viral movement protein, which is a cognate sequence for the viral replicase.’
- ‘To prove the replicase assumption of the RNA world hypothesis, these features must be united into a single ribozyme’.’
- ‘Q-beta replicase based gene amplification: This approach involves production of RNA in the amplification reaction using QB replicase as the enzyme and reaction at fixed temperature.’
1960s: from the verb replicate + -ase.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.