Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Done or occurring again several times in the same way.‘there were repeated attempts to negotiate’‘despite repeated requests, neither company gave a satisfactory answer’
- ‘Repeated watching of violent or traumatic events on the television should be avoided.’
- ‘In some centers, repeated bronchial biopsies are suggested to study the pathology.’
- ‘Results of repeated tests for C difficile toxin were negative.’
- ‘Many of the scenes are repeated in slow motion.’
- ‘Henri Josserand condemned Western governments for failing to respond to repeated appeals for urgent food aid to the famine-stricken country.’
- ‘Harper thanks the street gangs for the repeated attacks on his campaign for his soaring poll numbers.’
- ‘The discrepancies in the payment of pensions discussed earlier are repeated in the values of state pensions.’
- ‘Programmable shunts allow surgeons to adjust the settings on the shunt from outside the body, thereby decreasing the need for repeated surgeries.’
- ‘In Leeds hospitals alone 60-70,000 admissions are drink-related - a picture repeated across the region.’
- ‘The chicken motif is repeated at several times in the film.’
- ‘The benefit term is discounted by the probability of a repeated game q, showing the importance of frequent encounters.’
- ‘Kreuger made money from money, offering hefty dividends to attract investors to the repeated share offerings from his companies.’
- ‘The US scotched repeated attempts at the UN to establish a peacekeeping force on the ground in the Territories.’
- ‘A short melody, usually in the bass, repeated continually with changing upper parts.’
- ‘Both workers were employed by the Jorge Erazo Company, a subcontractor under investigation for repeated violations of safety rules.’
- ‘Meridian acupuncture treatments were repeated from two to four times a month.’
- ‘In addition, repeated simulations with the same set of parameter values were very consistent in their outcomes.’
- ‘This evening of appetising dishes to tingle the tastebuds is to be repeated on Saturday, November 24.’
- ‘Best of all is the chapters on money management, which are repeated almost verbatim for each game.’
- ‘Five dissident Iranian authors have been assassinated over the last two years following repeated death threats.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.