One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Psychotherapy aimed at changing a person's homosexuality and based on the view that homosexuality is a mental disorder.
- ‘Going straight is a fascinating Guardian article about reparative therapy used to ‘cure’ homosexuality and the ex-gay movement in America.’
- ‘Guess which highly respected professional health organizations in the United States think the whole reparative therapy movement is a dangerous lie?’
- ‘Kauth's discussion of Joseph Nicolosi's reparative therapy erroneously implies that it is based on principles of conditioning.’
- ‘If the literature of reparative therapy teaches anything, it is how deep homosexuality runs in a person's identity, and how enormously difficult it is to alter.’
- ‘Yet, they endorse Throckmorton and by extension reparative therapy, a practice that holds that homosexuals are sick and need to be fixed.’
- ‘In October it became known that they had given $8 million to a Christian school connected with the notorious Coral Ridge Ministries, which promotes reparative therapy to ‘cure’ gays.’
- ‘Family Fundamentals illustrates this divide with a segment on Kathleen, who is active in the reparative therapy movement.’
- ‘Despite the lingering problem of reparative therapy, activists say the the group's move remains a real victory for gays in China.’
- ‘When his boyfriend's mother found out about the relationship and pulled her son out of school, Adams tried reparative therapy and counseling - again to no avail.’
- ‘The good news, the psychologist tells us, is homosexuality is preventable and treatable through so-called reparative therapy.’
- ‘It is true that reparative therapy groups claim people are cured: They stay married or get married, become celibate, and all repress their feelings.’
- ‘He wasn't queer because same-sex love was honorable in his time but because he suffered from mother horror and father fixation - a good candidate for reparative therapy.’
- ‘On the subject of reparative therapy, do you think any gay people would want to be straight if there weren't an antigay climate in this country?’
- ‘Catholic psychologist Joesph Nicolosi, known for so-called reparative therapy for homosexuality, supplies a clinical foreword.’
- ‘‘It would seem that reparative therapy is sometimes successful,’ he says.’
- ‘I'll see if I can dig out the results on ‘ex-gay’ so-called reparative therapy.’
- ‘When it came to so-called reparative therapy, I was helping Laura with an article for her newsletter that exposed this ‘cure for homosexuality’ as the nonsense that it is.’
- ‘‘There are lots of [gay] reparative therapy groups here,’ Taylor said.’
- ‘Wayne Besen's acclaimed and engaging work debunks ‘ex-gay’ myths, including reparative therapy and the political movement built on supposed ex-gay ‘success’ stories.’
- ‘This fall, Love Won Out, a one-day conference on reparative therapy sponsored by Focus on the Family, will set up shop in Boston at the Tremont Temple Baptist Church.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.