One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Japanese linked poetry in the form of a tanka (or series of tanka), with the first three lines composed by one person and the second two by another. A typical renga sequence is comprised of 100 stanzas composed by about three poets in a single sitting.
- ‘On Thursday, National Poetry Day, he is to be presented with a renga - a serial poem - composed by children and poets en route from Edinburgh to Glasgow.’
- ‘It is what might be called a collaborative poem, or renga, an identity well explained in the poem.’
- ‘Rewriting of canonical pieces, the development of sequences and rengas, a short verse play collaboration, as well as the workshopping of individual poems, will be the main elements of the course.’
- ‘In the rengas Page and Stratford ‘move through sadness to [a] final hopeful image.’’
- ‘At the age of thirteen, Zeami first met Nijo Yoshimoto, once regent of the Northern Court and leader of the Nijo school of court poetry as well as a practitioner of renga (linked verse, then coming into wide popularity).’
Japanese, from ren ‘linking’ + ga (from ka ‘poetry’).
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.