One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Filled with remorse; sorry.‘the defendant was remorseful for what he had done’
sorry, full of regret, regretful, sad, contrite, repentant, penitent, guilt-ridden, conscience-stricken, guilty, ashamed, chastened, shamefaced, self-reproachful, rueful, apologeticView synonyms
- ‘The defendant is sitting there looking very remorseful.’
- ‘The court heard the stepfather was remorseful and apologised to his stepdaughter for what he did.’
- ‘He's become extremely apologetic and very remorseful about what he did.’
- ‘Her remorseful attacker languishes in a UK prison.’
- ‘Both are ashamed and remorseful for what they did, and they are not fans of mine right now.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.